Let’s Change the Way Development is Reported Today! Come, Join us, Get Connected, Contribute & Make a Difference!
Job title: GSDM Regional Editor for the Middle East & North Africa (MENA)
Position type: Pro-bono (Voluntary work)
Location: Home based
Starting Date: 15 Feb 2015
Contract Duration: One year (fixed)
Responsible to: Editor-in-Chief
Application Deadline: 31 Jan 2015
Established in late 2009, Global South Development Magazine (briefly known as GSDM) is a quarterly magazine of international development issues. The magazine is inspired by the idea of citizen journalism and primarily covers development issues of the developing world. GSDM is run by Silver Lining Creation ry, a not-for-profit development media organisation based in Helsinki-Finland.
GSDM Regional Editor:
As a Regional Editor your main task is to provide guidance and assistance to Development Reporters representing your regional base. You are expected to read, edit and comment on submissions made by Development Reporters in your region. In addition, your responsibility also requires you to:
- Produce and submit at least two articles/write-ups during the contract period
- Follow social, political, economic and overall development trends in your specific region and recommend relevant topics and subject areas for coverage/publication
- Communicate with government agencies, development agencies, local NGOs and other agencies and individuals that are working in your region, when needed
- Attend national and international conferences, seminars, press briefings in your region, when applicable
- At least a Master’s Degree in international development studies, economics, journalism, peace and conflict, education, communication studies or closely related field
- At least 2 years of experience in international development, journalism, development reporting, education or research is desirable
- Excellent writing, editing and reporting skills (in English)
- Any previous experience in photography, graphic designing, field reporting or group management is an asset
If selected, you will be connected and be part of an exciting and thriving global team that seeks to change the way development is reported today. A Regional Editor also receives an official GSDM email account and a press ID that will enable you to work as a journalist in your country and represent GSDM in different seminars, conferences, events and expeditions.
In addition, we will provide you a certificate of work experience and a paper or LinkedIn recommendation after you have worked with us for at least a year. As a GSDM staff you get an access to GSDM online library for reporters and receive different training manuals to work effectively as a Regional Editor.
However, we are a not-for-profit organization and almost all of our activities are carried out by volunteers. Based on the current policy of the organization, please note that you won’t be paid for your work.
How to apply:
You can apply for the post by sending a letter of interest by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following attachments by 31 Jan 2015.
1. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
2. At least two articles/features on international development issues (both published or unpublished work are accepted)
Please clearly mention the position you are applying for in the subject area of your email message.
Selection is based on your writing skills and your previous work experience and there will be no interviews. Please kindly note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For further information, please contact:
Global South Development Magazine
P.O. Box 14 00271 HELSINKI, FINLAND